Thursday, October 4, 2007

Jupiter

Growing up in the 80's, I've pretty seen all the pictures of the Voyager spaceshot in textbooks and encyclopediae since I was kid and haven't really thought much about them. I'm only now beginning to see these again and think, "Jesus, did we really send a fucking camera into space in the 70's just to take candid pictures of Jupiter's Red Spot?"

Seriously, this is what some people do with their college degrees, and they are superior to you and I.
"a persistent anticyclonic storm located 22° south of the equator that is larger than Earth. It is known to have been in existence since at least 1831,[35] and possibly since 1665." The planet itself is a gas giant with a metallic hydrogen core.
Whenever I'm feeling blue, I can always remember that here's this planet 318 times bigger than Earth with centuries-old massive hurricanes blowing over a surface of smooth metallic hydrogen, and I just need to focus on the positive in this world.

No comments: